My talented sister guest post for me and wrote this delicious homemade pumpkin pie recipe! Check it out.
Baking hasn’t really been my forte. Or maybe that’s just because i never had an oven to bake anything in. I thought baking always involved the one ingredient I was not supposed to have anything to do with: eggs. As a vegetarian since birth, I never cook with eggs since those could not be found in the house. However, after I was acquainted with the multitude of recipes that could be found on the internet, I realized that eggs are not vital ingredient in baking. There are many substitutes that would work just fine. After finding this out and getting a new oven to work with, I was ready to make some eggless baked goodies!
My mother bought some pumpkins earlier in the day and she suggested we should make some pumpkin pies. I had been struggling to find a suitable eggless pumpkin pie recipe on the internet. Most of the recipes require ingredients that are not available in our kitchen since it require mashing some cooked pumpkins and adding some corn flour and milk and basically turning it into a pumpkin pudding pie filling, I was skeptical because i wasn’t sure whether it would set right while baking and I didn’t want a jiggly pudding for the filling.
To the rescue, my mother offered an old pumpkin pie recipe she has never tried making. The recipe included adding milk powder to the pumpkin and cooking it on the stove till it dries up like a jam. The pumpkin pie filling ended up so delectable, I swear I would eat it just like that if I could.
I added some spices like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to the filling. Personally, I think the cloves made a huge impact on the flavour. If you’re not a big fan of cloves, then you can use the spices you prefer.
Ingredients – For The Crust:
All purpose flour: 250 grams
Butter: two tablespoons
For The Filling:
Boiled pumpkin, mashed until smooth: 1 cup
Brown sugar & granulated sugar: 1 tablespoon each
Milk Powder: 4 tablespoons
Cinnamon, Cloves and Nutmeg powder: optional
Butter: 1 teaspoon
- Mix the flour, water and butter. Knead the dough until smooth and keep it aside while you make the filling.
- Mix the milk powder, salt and the spices until well combined, set aside. Mix the pumpkin and the sugar as well and set aside.
- Heat just a little bit of butter in a pan on medium-low heat and add the mashed pumpkin. Add the milk powder and spices and stir until well combined.
- Keep stirring until the spices get fragrant and the pumpkin has thickened up a bit. This will take about 4 – 5 minutes. When done, set aside to cool.
- Roll the dough until it has a semi-thin thickness. Make sure you don’t roll it too thick as it might not get properly baked. Place it carefully on your pie dish, making sure that you don’t stretch it and no holes could be fine. If it got stretched a bit too far, don’t worry. Just make a ball out of it and roll it again nicely. Make sure that there’s about an inch of crust hanging out on the edges. You can create designs by twisting the edges or by pinching it with a fork.
- Pour the filling in the dish and level it with a spoon.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes, according to your oven.
- Enjoy your warm eggless pumpkin pie!
Notes: The pie filling won’t be too set, but it won’t have a pudding consistency. It can be cut as seen in the picture below 🙂
Follow me: https://radzbites.wordpress.com/